Zack Snyder announced earlier this year that “rebel moon”, his two-part sci-fi epic for Netflix, would have director’s cuts for each film. The director revealed more details about what these director’s cuts would entail in a new interview with Entertainment Weekly.
While both “Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire” and “Rebel Moon Part Two: The Scargiver” will have PG-13 ratings, longer R-rated versions will be available to stream on Netflix at a later date.
“I’m very proud of the PG-13 version, the version for a broader audience, because I would say it really satisfies a mythological, amazing, timeless scope,” Snyder said. “What we’ve done with the other version is fun and subversive because an R-rated sci-fi movie on this scale shouldn’t exist.”
The director’s cuts will be much more violent, in addition to giving substance to Snyder’s new universe. He added that these director’s cuts would be an hour longer, with “big parts of the movie that are different.”
Unlike most projects Snyder has worked on, Netflix planned these director’s cuts from the beginning.
“This was the first time I was able to make a movie and plan it,” Snyder said. “The cut wasn’t me fighting with them like, ‘Okay, you’re not going to do what I want.’ Can I at least release it on DVD? “It was us going together.”
“Rebel Moon” follows a young woman living on a peaceful colony on the outskirts of a galaxy and tasked with finding warriors to defend against an imminent invasion by the despotic Regent Balisarius. The cast includes Sofia Boutella, Charlie Hunnam, Djimon Hounsou, Ray Fisher, Doona Bae, Jena Malone, Staz Nair, E. Duffy and Michiel Huisman.
“Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire” premieres on Netflix on December 22.