LOS ANGELES – A 450-foot section of major Interstate 10 near downtown Los Angeles that was damaged in a devastating fire will not have to be torn down or replaced, officials said Tuesday.
The fire that broke out under Highway 10, as it is known locally, early Saturday morning has been It was preliminarily determined that it was caused by arson. – although it is still unknown who set it up.
“We will not need to demolish and replace I-10,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said at a news conference.
He said the stretch of interstate could reopen in three to five weeks.
The fire, which broke out shortly after midnight Saturday in an area where vehicles, pallets and other materials had been stored beneath the interstate platform, damaged 100 support columns, nine or 10 of them severely, Newsom said.
The area under the interstate had been leased to the California Department of Transportation by a company that had illegally subleased it to five or possibly six other companies, officials said.